Could the Coronavirus End Up Being a Positive for Trump?
Thinking Citizen Blog — Sunday is Political Process, Campaign Strategy, and Candidate Selection Day
Today’s Topic: Could the coronavirus end up being a positive for Trump?
At first, it looked like the coronavirus would be an absolute calamity for Trump. It would highlight in a personal, painful way, his absolute incompetence. Since then, however, his handling of the crisis has apparently won the approval of about 60% of Americans. He could end up being seen as the equivalent of a “wartime” President who “got us through it.” Experts — please chime in. Correct, elaborate, elucidate.
TWO PILLARS OF TRUMP’S STORY ARE GONE — Jobs and the Stock Market
1. Until the coronavirus, Trump could crow about how the stock market had defied the predictions of almost every expert and risen dramatically since his election.
2. Similarly, he could boast of how unemployment was at its lowest level in over 50 years.
3. Since February, the stock market declined further and faster than it had in 1929 and more workers filed for unemployment last week than ever in history — by a factor of five!
THE MARCH 24TH POLLING DATA — “BEFORE HE REVERSED HIS REVERSAL”
1. Gallup poll: 60% approval for his coronavirus response.
2. Overall approval: 49% the highest of his presidency.
3. “But this was taken before he reversed his reversal and went back to downplaying the virus, and before the unemployment figures delivered an almighty gut punch.” (first link below)
THE RELIEF PACKAGE, THE FUTURE COURSE OF INFECTIONS, A V SHAPED RECOVERY — TOO MANY WILD CARDS
1. The pace of change is dizzying.
2. The election is hard to find on the front page.
3. Biden’s voice is lost in the cacophony.
NB: The impeachment trial and Biden’s turnaround seem like ancient history.