Liberal Arts Blog — Bob Saget (1956–2022), Louie Anderson (1953–2022), and the Most Under-appreciated Comedian Ever
Liberal Arts Blog — Sunday is the Joy of Humor, Food, Travel, Practical Life Tips, and Miscellaneous Day
Today’s Topic: Bob Saget (1956–2022), Louie Anderson (1953–2022), and the Most Under-appreciated Comedian Ever
This week I learned that lots and lots of people love Bob Saget and Louie Anderson. News article after news article. Opinion piece after opinion piece. I had no idea what the fuss was all about. Neither name rang a bell. So I decided to do a little research and dig up the funniest things these guys ever said to see if there was anything worth sharing. This raised another question. Are there other comedians I don’t know about that may have had lines funnier than any I already know? So I googled “funniest lines by comedians you have never heard of” and came to a website that introduced me to two other comedians I had never heard of — Michael Hedberg and Brian Regan. Today, a few lines each from three of the four: Anderson, Regan, and Hedberg. Honestly, I could not find a quote from Saget I found funny. So who is your favorite comedian the rest of us may never have heard of? Experts — please chime in. Correct, elaborate, elucidate.
BRIAN REGAN (1958 — )
1. “Where it at all went wrong was the day they started the spelling bee. Because up until that day I was an idiot but no one else knew.”
2. “They call it softball, makes it sound harmless. You ever take a line shot in the face with a softball?”
3. “I eat Fig Newtons by the sleeve. Two sleeves in a serving size.”
MITCH HEDBERG (1968–2005)
1. “I don’t have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who would be mad at me for saying that.”
2. “My fake plants died when I stopped pretending to water them.”
3. “Rice is great if you are really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.”
NB: “I used to do drugs. I still do. But I used to, too.” (He died of an overdose at 37.)
LOUIE ANDERSON (1953–2022) — don’t miss his first appearance on Johnny Carson! (It’s all in the delivery)
1. “I can’t stay long. I’m in between meals. So bear with me.”
2. “I was just at McDonalds and all those statistics changed.”
3. “I went shopping today. What’s this one size fits all stuff ?”
NB: “Of course what brought me to California was the the Olympics. I tried out every event for the Olympics. Tried that pole vault. Drove that sucker right into the ground. I did a good thing though I straightened out those uneven parallel bars. Broad jump? Killed her.”
As with so much in life, no accounting for tastes. Similarly, gotta be in the mood. Also, things can go stale awfully fast.
LAST FOUR YEARS OF POSTS ORGANIZED THEMATICALLY:
Anything miscellaneous to share? Best trip you ever took in your life? Practical life tips? Random facts? Jokes? Or, what is the best cartoon you have seen lately? or in the last 10 years? or the last 50? Or what is your favorite holiday food? Main course? Dessert? Fondest food memories? Favorite foods to eat or prepare?
This is your chance to make someone else’s day. Or to cement in your mind a memory that might otherwise disappear. Or to think more deeply about something dear to your heart. Continuity is key to depth of thought.