Thinking Citizen Blog — Periodic Re-Statement of First Principles, First Facts, First Conclusions
Thinking Citizen Blog — Tuesday is Economics, Finance, and Business Day
Today’s Topic: Periodic Re-Statement of First Principles, First Facts, First Conclusions
It’s so easy to get lost in the weeds. There are so many and they are everywhere. So, stepping back, this holiday week, what are the things most worth remembering about economics? Experts — please chime in. Correct, elaborate, elucidate.
NO CIVIC LITERACY WITHOUT ECONOMIC LITERACY
1. No economic literacy without financial literacy.
2. No financial literacy without business literacy.
3. No economic literacy without historical literacy.
THE ABSENCE OF TRAINING IN ECONOMICS K-12
1. Financial literacy does not teach itself.
2. Business literacy does not teach itself.
3. Historical literacy does not teach itself.
NB: Are you economically literate? Play this game with me. What are the three basic principles of economics? What are three applications of each? Once you have completed this challenge in writing, check out the link at the end of this note. Am I off base? Do you agree? Disagree?
WHAT TEACHERS ARE QUALIFIED?
1. What teachers are trained in financial literacy?
2. What teachers are trained in business literacy?
3. What teachers are trained in historical literacy?
NB: Who will teach the teachers? Are the laws of economics, finance, and business just matters of opinion? No. But they are counter-intuitive.
FOOTNOTES — THE RESPONSIBILITY OF UNIVERSITIES, LOCAL SCHOOL BOARDS, HARVARD IN PARTICULAR
1. Should not Harvard University’s General Education program be doing something serious in this regard?
2. Does any college in the country do a half decent job?
3. Should school boards across the country be addressing this most egregious of educational failures?
NB: Is there a snowball’s chance in hell that any of this changes in the next century? Imagine….
Check out p.16 (“The Basic Laws of Economics”) of the Thematic Matrices which is the Appendix to the “Thinking Citizen” website:
A LINK TO THE LAST FOUR YEARS OF POSTS ORGANIZED BY THEME:
YOUR TURN — Please share:
a.) the coolest thing you learned this week related to business, economics, finance.
b.) the coolest thing you learned in your life related to business, economics, finance.
c.) anything at all related to business, economics, finance.
d.) anything at all