Thinking Citizen Blog — Who is Tim Scott? Who cares? Who should?
Thinking Citizen Blog — Sunday is Political Process, Campaign Strategy, and Candidate Selection Day
Today’s Topic: Who is Tim Scott? Who cares? Who should?
In case you missed it, Tim Scott, the junior Senator from South Carolina made headlines last week for declaring that the United States is “not racist.” Scott is “the first African-American senator from South Carolina, the first African-American senator to be elected from the southern United States since 1881 and the first African-American Republican to serve in the U.S. Senate since Edward Brooke departed in 1979.” While Ibrahim Kendi responded with “The heartbeat of racism is denial. We can hear the heartbeat clearly,” both President Biden and Kamala Harris echoed Scott (with qualifications). Intrigued, I decided to do a little research and share the results. Experts — please chime in. Correct, elaborate, elucidate.
A PROUD CONSERVATIVE: lower taxes, small government, pro-life
1. “Under President Biden’s plan our corporate tax rate would be among the highest in the world. What does that mean for us? Jobs shipped overseas, staggering inflation, and an advantage for our global competitors.” (Scott)
2. Scott supports a balanced budget amendment and the replacement of all federal income taxes with a single consumption tax on retail sales.
3. He is against abortion, gay marriage, and assisted suicide.
NB: On foreign policy, he is opposed to Biden’t plan to withdraw from Afghanistan and believes that Iran is the greatest threat to US national security.
PUBLIC OFFICES HELD (1996 to Present)
1. Charleston County Council — 1996 to 2008.
2. South Carolina General Assembly — 2009–2011
3. US House of Representatives — 2011–2013
NB: US Senator — 2013 to Present. At first appointed by Governor Nikki Haley in 2013. He was then elected in a special election in 2014 for completion of a partial term and then re-elected in 2016 to a full term.
BIOGRAPHY: family, education, business, religion
1. He was brought in poverty by a single mother who supported her family working 16-hour days. “His older brother is a sergeant major in the US Army. His younger brother is a US Air Force colonel.”
2. Scott has a degree in political science from Charleston Southern University and is alumnus of the South Carolina’s “Palmetto State Boys Program” (sponsored by the American Legion, the veterans organization founded in 1919).
3. “He owns an insurance agency and is a partner in Pathway Real Estate Group, LLC.”
NB: He is an evangelical Protestant and is unmarried. (South Carolina is the only state in the union with two Senators who have never married. The senior Senator from South Carolina is Lindsey Graham.)
Here is a link to the last three years of posts organized by theme:
Please share the coolest thing you learned in the last week related to political process or campaign strategy or 2020 candidate selection or anything else for that matter.
This is your chance to make some one else’s day or change their thinking. Or to consolidate in your own memory something worth remembering that might otherwise be lost. Or to clarify or deepen your own understanding of something dear to your heart. Continuity is key to depth of thought.